Determine whether you might need more than $250K for your dwelling and $100K for personal possessions
Foster City, CA –July 13, 2021 – With heavy rain and flash flood warnings a common occurrence over the past few weeks and the prospect of additional storms throughout Hurricane Season, Insurance.com explains how flood insurance works and advises on the importance of purchasing appropriate protection in advance of any flooding.
Comprehensive information is available: Flood insurance: a complete guide.
“With flooding the most common natural disaster in the U.S., it is critically important that homeowners and renters understand how to buy flood insurance,” explains Les Masterson, managing editor for Insurance.com. “If you want flood protection, it’s essential to purchase a separate flood policy, since damage from rising water is excluded from standard home insurance coverage, and those without flood protection risk being underinsured.”
Unique aspects of flood insurance include:
- It is generally not possible to buy a policy and benefit from it immediately when a storm is on its way, due to a standard 30-day waiting period between acquiring protection and the start of any coverage period
- Unlike homeowners policy prices, flood insurance rates do not vary between insurers on standard flood policies
- The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) allows people to buy up to $250,000 for home protection and $100,000 for property or contents
- Flood insurance features separate deductibles for buildings and their contents
- Consumers can choose their deductible amounts, although those with mortgages may be constrained by their lender’s limits
As Tropical Storm Elsa recently demonstrated, property owners from Florida through New England can experience flooding from one significant weather event.” Masterson continues. “Given that Hurricane Season is barely out of the gate, now is a good time for people to assess their flood protection levels and obtain additional coverage ahead of upcoming storms.”
Masterson is available to explain exceptions to standard flood insurance terms and can advise on how consumers may be able to buy coverage beyond the NFIP basic levels.
Insurance is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq: QNST), a leader in providing performance marketplace technologies and services to the financial services and home services industries. QuinStreet is a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. The company is committed to providing consumers with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. Insurance.com is a member of the company’s expert research and publishing division.
Insurance is a trusted online resource dedicated to educating consumers on auto, home, health and life insurance, developing relationships directly with carriers to offer consumers comparison rates from multiple companies. Since 2001, Insurance.com’s industry-first online tools, data-based reporting and experienced experts have helped consumers make informed insurance-related decisions, so they can choose the right insurance for their individual needs.
Senior Director of Public Relations
Direct +1 775 321 3608